Senior Development Manager, Distinguished Events DetroitCompany: American Cancer Society
Date Posted: October 5, 2017
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
Executes large scale distinguished events portfolio of gala/golf events with accountability for a significant gross income target of $ 750K as well as appropriate event related mission and advocacy activities. Ensures goal achievement through effective volunteer leadership engagement, empowerment and mobilization. Leverages and manages multiple high-impact community relationships and effective collaboration with market leadership, major gifts and corporate relations staff.
• Proven ability to independently manage multiple projects and tasks concurrently and effectively prioritize in a fast-paced work environment to meet tight deadlines and consistently achieve income targets > $600K gross.
• Monitors financial expenditures and progress against budgetary plan and takes appropriate measures to meet top line and bottom line goals ensuring a high ROI in meeting revenue targets.
• Demonstrates expertise in the implementation of best practices for volunteer leadership development, succession planning, high level constituent experience, and event revenue growth; drives and encourages creativity and innovation.
• Recruits and connects high net worth individuals with the appropriate volunteer and fundraising activities for distinguished events and collaborates with major gift peers to establish appropriate stewardship and cultivation strategies.
• Recruits and connects with c-suite executives and corporate partners to drive sponsorship and support of distinguished events; collaborates with corporate relations peers to establish appropriate solicitation, stewardship and cultivation strategies.
• Through volunteer management, show a demonstrated ability to understand others perspectives and influence them to action. Accountable for the achievement of income performance targets for a portfolio of distinguished events including galas, golf, and other social events.
• Ability to proactively anticipate and efficiently solve problems. Demonstrated ability to take initiative and a relentless drive toward outcomes and high aim.
• Responsible for planning distinguished events including volunteer committee recruitment and management, goal setting, event logistics, and evaluation.
• Manage pipeline development, account planning, forecasting, ROI analysis, engagement of prospects and high level volunteer cultivation. Able to cultivate relationships with targeted systems/organizations, including mobilization of a diverse population of community volunteers and major donors.
• Advanced skill in the identification and S the utilization of event best practices to maximize fundraising through DE portfolio and actively works within a nationwide framework to seize opportunities across local and regional boundaries.
• Ensures stewardship and engagement of high level volunteers with market and national boards, CEO chapters, and other organizational leadership groups. Demonstrates confidence in relationship building to recruit high level and diverse community volunteer leadership and committees.
• Ensures collaboration with Major Gifts and Corporate Relations staff and volunteers to drive revenue growth through distinguished events, and effective stewardship of key volunteer and donor relationships.
• Actively collaborates with Community Development, Cancer Control, and ACS CAN staff to maximize event success;
• Supports Laureate Society efforts when applicable, assisting with the management of recognition events and activities.
• Ensures compliance with ACS policies, including risk management, event and cash handling, and financial controls. Ability to manage budgets, analyzes event data, and understands basic account principals to run events like a small business.
• Maintains a productive and collaborative relationships with the Society's global headquarters departments and other regions; participates on regional and enterprise projects and committees as appropriate.
• Models and fosters behavior that establishes a culture that values the staff/volunteer partnership, and is consistent with the values, goals, and objectives of the Society to create an atmosphere of trust, cooperation, accountability, empowerment, and dedication to the mission
Bachelor's degree, equivalent or comparable specific work experience. Preferred 3 -5 years of experience with coordination and execution of large scale distinguished events and volunteer management for fundraising and mission outcomes for a multi-million dollar organization.
Demonstrates Distinguished Events Competencies:
• Action oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Being resilient - Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
• Builds networks - Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
• Business insight - Applies knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals.
• Collaborates - Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Communicates effectively - Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Drives engagement - Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
• Drives results - Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
• Proven experience fostering strong relationships with high net worth individuals, and leveraging those contacts for introductions to new prospects for the Society.
• Able to cultivate relationships including mobilization of a diverse population of community leaders and volunteers.
• Demonstrated fundraising mindset and ability to handle multiple priorities, project management and meeting deadlines; strong planning and organizational skills.
• Able to remain composed under stress, handles responses to criticism tactfully and takes responsibility for delivering on organizational commitments.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Broad knowledge of the overall structure, programs, and services of the American Cancer Society including policies and procedures.
• Responsible for partnering with enterprise support functions for successful planning and execution of events.
• Proven ability to collaborate within staff account teams to develop appropriate plans for constituents.
• Strong customer service orientation, with extensive experience in effectively addressing and resolving issues with constituents.
• Ability to communicate with staff and volunteers, as needed, to negotiate issues as they arise to ensure the integrity of ACS events.
• Ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities in a focused and timely manner; proactively address issues as they arise and mitigate risks associated to events.
• Proficient in computer-based information systems.
Travel, including evening and weekend work required.
Interested parties please apply at http://www.cancer.org.