Development Operations CoordinatorCompany: ACLU of Michigan
Date Posted: August 8, 2017
Development Operations Coordinator
In response to the unprecedented surge of support following the 2016 election, the ACLU of Michigan’s Development Department’s challenge is to engage and retain our new supporters, identify potential high-level donors, and work to cultivate them and grow their giving, as well as to continue to build on our relationships with existing donors. The Development Operations Coordinator plays a key role in maintaining smooth processes and effective systems to allow us to be as intentional, efficient, and productive as possible.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan is seeking a detail-oriented Development Operations Coordinator to work with our four-person development team. The Development Operations Coordinator takes primary responsibility for all aspects of the donor database and administrative support to the Development Department. This job requires close attention to detail, accuracy, and donor confidentiality. The ideal candidate is someone who revels in crossing their T’s and dotting their I’s.
The ACLU of Michigan is a statewide organization with offices in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Lansing, and a temporary field office in Flint. This position is based in Detroit.
- Data Entry and Gift Processing – Enter gifts and pledges into the donor database, and prepare timely acknowledgement letters. Maintain electronic files of acknowledgement letters, scans of checks, and donor correspondence. Charge gifts made by credit card and maintain schedule for recurring gifts. Track pledges and issue pledge reminders.
- Run evaluative reports for program tracking and management. Facilitate data requests from the Development Department and other staff. Produce daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly financial reports.
- Process new and renewal memberships.
Special Event Management Assistance:
- Work in collaboration with other Development staff and event planning contractors to produce and manage two large-scale annual fundraisers, including materials production, event registration and ticketing, event logistics, and event follow-up.
Program Administration and Support:
- Create and maintain fiscal year activity calendar. Provide support for small donor events and cultivation. Order stationery, supplies, and stamps as needed. Provide support to the Director of Philanthropy and development team.
Coordination of Mailings:
- Oversee and execute targeted year-end solicitation and donor stewardship mailings. Secure coded gift envelopes for quarterly issue mailings prepared by the Communications Department.
- Oversee mailings to new members, and work with our Communications and Political Departments to ensure our supply of membership application materials.
Grant Management Assistance:
- Primarily responsible for tracking grant applications, reporting, and deadlines.
- Monthly reconciliation with the Finance and Operations Department, and annual reconciliation with the national office. Work with the finance team and auditors on annual audit.
- Act as the first point of contact in the Development Department for calls from financial supporters; respond to inquiries about ACLU membership. Provide general information about the ACLU and its programs. Contact donors about donations when necessary. Serve as liaison with the national office about donor records or preferences.
- Demonstrated passion for civil liberties and civil rights;
- Customer service mindset is imperative;
- One-year minimum experience using databases, preferably relational databases such as Salesforce, and email software;
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Windows, Word, Outlook and Excel;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Previous administrative development experience preferred;
- Ability to work flexible hours when necessary;
- A commitment to diversity; embraces a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- A flexible, detail-oriented self-starter who is willing to assume additional duties as appropriate and grow in the position;
- A team worker who enjoys working collaboratively with others;
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a busy office environment;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to meet deadlines;
- A person who assumes the best from colleagues and resolves conflicts directly;
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with volunteers, staff, board members and the public.
The Development Operations Coordinator reports to the Centennial Campaign Director.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits including health insurance and a 401(k) plan. This is a Band IIa, full-time, permanent position.
Please submit, in digital form, a detailed letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to ACLU of Michigan Centennial Campaign Director at DevOpsJob@aclumich.org. Include Development Operations Coordinator and your name in the subject line of the email.
Application review begins August 18, 2017. Position will remain open until filled.
The ACLU of Michigan is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are encouraged to apply.
The ACLU of Michigan comprises two separate corporate entities, the ACLU of Michigan and the ACLU of Fund of Michigan. The ACLU of Michigan and the ACLU Fund of Michigan share the same mission, office space, and employees. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU of Michigan.”